HEALTHY EATING AND SCHOOL CANTEENS
Did you know?
Your child is more likely to thrive at school if they feel happy, confident and secure.
Tasmanian Government schools provide a range of services and programmes to support the health and wellbeing of your child.
Many of these are strongly connected to what your child will be learning in class.
- Healthy eating is encouraged in all Tasmanian Government schools.
- School canteens have a central role in the education and health of the students and schools they serve.
- Schools work hard to help ensure children learn about being healthy and active – and that the food served in canteens is healthy!
- Many schools are participating in the Canteen Accreditation Programme which offers a model of best practice for canteens and provides guidelines and procedures for high quality and safe food service for school students and staff.
- For information on your school’s canteen operating hours, ordering arrangements and menu, contact your child’s school.
Move Well Eat Well!
- Over 100 Tasmanian Government schools are now participating in the Move Well Eat Well Programme.
- The programme works to create a whole school environment that promotes healthy eating and physical activity. It provides primary schools with a simple framework, resources and recognition for promoting messages around healthy eating and physical activity to support good health.
- The programme provides healthy lifestyle messages parents can give their children at home.
What you can do to help
- Send your child to school with water in their drink bottle.
- Limit high fat, salty and sugary foods to special occasions.
- Pack two serves of fruit and up to five serves of vegetables in your child’s lunchbox.
- If you need help with knowing the right kind of food to put in your child’s lunchbox there are lots of resources on the Move Well Eat Well website – go to www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/mwew to find out more.
Start the Day Right
- Breakfast is important because it provides the body with fuel after an overnight fast. A healthy breakfast provides your body with the nutrients and energy needed to get through the day.
- Encouraging children to eat a nutritious breakfast and providing them with the opportunity to do so is important for a range of reasons including health, success at school and overall wellbeing.
Where can I get more information: