Early Childhood Intervention Services support children with a disability or developmental delay from birth to school entry, and their families. Service Eligibility Guidelines and Definitions are available online.
The service builds on opportunities for learning and development that are provided at home or through birth-4 programs.
Early Childhood Intervention Service recognises that families are children’s first and most influential teachers. Families are the primary influence on children’s learning and development.
A child-and-family-centred approach based on a partnership between parents and professionals is at the core of early intervention.
The overall aim of these services is to provide parents and families with the knowledge, skills and support to meet the changing needs of their child and to optimise the child’s development and ability to be part of family and community life.
What do Early Childhood Intervention Services provide?
Early Childhood Intervention Services provide a range of specialist services for families with children who have a disability or developmental delay, prior to school entry.
The range of specialist services include:
• information and advice that addresses the individual needs of the child and family
• supporting families to help their child’s development
• linking families to services and providing access and coordination of services
• flexible developmental education programs
• access to therapy services such as Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Pathology
• additional support to improve access and participation in community services such as child care
• assisting with transition to school.
Exemption from kindergarten for ECIS exiting students
All children who have turned four years of age by January 1st 2014 are eligible for enrolment at their local kindergarten. Any exception to this is on the basis of early entry to kindergarten for students assessed as gifted.
It is recognised that the preferred option for all students, in order to gain the most benefit from the available years of schooling, is participation in kindergarten, providing an important foundation year for learning. More information.