MOBILE DEVICES IN TASMANIAN GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS
Did you know?
The Department of Education understands that mobile devices such as mobile phones, laptops, iPads and iPods are an important part of life and learning in today’s world.
We want to incorporate technology into your child’s learning whenever it is appropriate.
Many schools allow students to use mobile devices (school owned and personal) in the classroom to assist with their school work.
We also need to make sure that the use of mobile phones, iPads and other mobile devices are used in ways that are positive for learning.
Where to start
- Talk to your child’s teacher or principal about how mobile devices are used in your school.
- Talk to your child about how they can use their mobile devices at school.
- Look at ways to make sure your child uses their mobile devices safely.
For your child
- While a mobile device is important to your child’s learning, your child needs to agree to use it appropriately.
- Your child must agree to:
- Use it for learning purposes as directed by their teacher.
- Act responsibly and not use the device to find, create or send information that might be harmful, inappropriate or hurtful to anyone.
- Respect others when they talk to and work with them online and never write or participate in online bullying.
- Comply with the school’s acceptable use policy.
- If your child is using their mobile device as a telephone at school, they need to:
- Check if they can have it in class.
- Keep their phone on silent during class times.
- Only use as directed by the teacher.
- Protect the privacy of others and never post private information about another person.
Cameras on mobile devices
- If your child uses their mobile device as a camera they must:
- Seek permission from individuals involved before taking photos, recording sound or videoing them (including teachers and other school staff).
- Only take photos and record sound or video when it is part of a class or lesson.
- Seek written permission from individuals involved before publishing or sending photos, recorded sound or video to anyone else or to any online space.
- Seek teacher permission before uploading any content to websites (e.g. blogs).
- Some schools use mobile devices to communicate with students or parents e.g. student attendance reminders.
- If your child does not have their mobile device with them or turned on for some lessons, all schools have arrangements in place to ensure that important messages are delivered to students.
Where can I get more information?
- Talk to your child’s teacher or principal to find out about the rules around the use of mobile devices that apply in your school.
- Visit the Department of Education website: www.education.tas.gov.au