Talk, Read and Play videos
The Bouncing Back – Talk and Read Project is for families of children enrolled in Launching into Learning (LiL) and Kindergarten. It gives practical resources to talk, read and play every day.
Families of LiL and Kinder children will receive a Talk and Read Bag during Term 3 2020.
Why talk, read and play every day?
- Right from birth, talking to your child is helping to build the connections in their brain to help them learn.
- Reading is a skill for life that begins when a baby first looks at a picture in a book.
- Active play helps children build skills in movement and learning.
What the Talk and Read Bags include?
- Picture book
- ‘Tips for talking and reading with your child’ postcard (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Picture Poster for talking, finding and storytelling – LiL (PDF, 894KB)
- Picture Poster for talking, finding and storytelling – LIFT (PDF, 2MB)
- Ball for active play and helping to build the foundations of oral language (in a Kindergarten bag)
- Tip sheet with practical ideas on how to use the ball for play and learning
- Wellbeing in the early years postcard (PDF, 1.1MB)
Ideas for using your Talk and Read bags
Links to other early years resources
- The B4 Early Years Coalition provides tools to support everyone to take action for the early years.
- The Basics Tasmania provides the Basics Community Toolkit. It is an online collection of videos, activities, handouts, and other materials designed to support Tasmanian families of children 0 – 3 years of age.
- First 5 Forever provides articles, tips and ideas to give strong early literacy foundations for children aged 0 – 5 years.
- Love Talk Sing Read Play provides information, ideas and activities for parents and communities about the social and emotional development of their children.
- Raising Children – The Australian Parenting Website provides articles, videos and interactive resources that are tailored to different ages and stages, taking you from nurturing a newborn to raising a confident, resilient teen – and helping you to look after yourself as a parent too.
- Lets Read is a national, evidence-based early literacy initiative that promotes reading with children from birth to five years.
- Words for Life provides resources, ideas and activities for families to support language development with young children.
- Launching into Learning (LiL) for birth – 4 Years
- Learning in Families Together (LIFT) for Kinder – Year 2
Resources for schools and early years settings
Each Launching into Learning and Kindergarten program, Child and Family Centre and Library will receive large copies of the Picture Poster for use with families and children in their program or setting.