Did you know?
There are online courses for gifted students. These courses are free for students. Teachers in schools can also see the courses. Courses are available in most curriculum areas for students in Prep to Year 10.
Gifted Online courses are taught by experienced teachers in Canvas. Canvas is a learning management system and is password protected. Courses have activities designed to challenge and inspire gifted students. Students can learn independently or talk to other students from across Tasmania about their learning. There are activities which allow students to learn together.
About Gifted Online courses
- Courses provide significant extension in one or more areas of the curriculum.
- There are chances for students to think deeply about issues and share their thoughts and learning.
- Activities help students develop skills in the General Capabilities of the Australian Curriculum. These include Critical and Creative Thinking, Literacy, Numeracy and ICT.
- Courses allow students to learn in their area of interest with like-minded peers.
How do the courses work?
- Teachers in your child’s school request places in a Gifted Online course.
- Students are selected based on data and reasons identified by their school.
- Gifted Online teachers design the activities and give students feedback.
- Each student’s class teacher is also part of the course. A teacher at your child’s school supports them with their learning.
- Your school will have a teacher who co-ordinates course enrolments and equipment.
- Students require at least 1 hour per week of class time to do their course.
- Students can also do their course from home or wherever the internet is available.
- Courses are for a school year. Some courses run for one term only and then some students may be selected to continue for the rest of the year.
- At the end of the year a certificate is emailed to your child’s school.
How can parents help ?
- The most important thing you can do is talk to your child about what is happening in the course.
- Your child will be able to log on and show you what they have been doing.
- Encourage your child to be creative. Help them to think deeply before posting in discussions or submitting their learning.
- Remember that mistakes are part of learning. Support your child to do their own thinking.
- Talk to your child’s class teacher if you have questions.
Where can I get more information?
- Ask your school about the Gifted Online courses. They will be able to give you more details.
- If your child needs extra extension in a curriculum area, discuss this with your child’s teacher.