HOMEWORK IN TASMANIAN GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS
Did you know?
Sometimes your child will have school work to complete at home.
This may be work that wasn’t finished in class time or it may be additional work your child has to complete outside school hours.
Where to start
- Whether your child will be given homework is a school-based decision and may vary between schools.
- Homework can be an important part of your child’s learning.
- You should talk to your child’s teacher if you are unsure about whether homework is a requirement at your child’s school.
- Find out whether your child will need to complete homework – this may change as they move through year levels and have different teachers.
- If your child receives homework, have a chat to them each night about whether they have homework to complete and encourage them to do their homework early.
- Get involved in your child’s education – you and your child will both benefit from this.
- Research shows that children do better at school when their parents are involved in their children’s education.
- Being involved in your child’s education adds to their school experience and sends a clear message that their education is important to you.
For your child
- If your child is worried or struggling with homework or classroom learning, talk to your child’s teacher as soon as you can so that things can be done to help.
- Encourage your child to just do their best – homework should not be worrying or stressful.
Tips for talking to your child about school
- Taking an active interest in your child’s day is a great way to understand what’s happening at school and how your child is feeling socially and academically.
- This can be as easy as asking ‘what did you learn at school today?’ or ‘how was your day?’
- Learning at home is also important – involving your child in day-to-day tasks and asking them to remember, contribute or make decisions can be a great way to show them how their learning in school will help them complete various tasks in life.
Where can I get more information?
- Talk to your child’s teacher or principal.
- Homework Guidelines available from: education.tas.gov.au
Download the Print version of brochure (PDF, 560KB)