My Education in Tasmanian Government Schools
DID YOU KNOW?
My Education is a whole-school approach to career and life planning starting in Kindergarten(K) and continuing through to Year 12.
My Education supports your child in making important life choices around planning for their future.
It helps your child to identify their personal interests, values, strengths, opportunities and aspirations, and teaches them how to use this knowledge to make decisions about their future learning, work and life opportunities.
Students who consider their interests and opportunities early on will have a clearer picture about who they are and what they might like to do.
MY EDUCATION CURRICULUM
In the first year of schooling, teachers use the Australian Early Years Learning Framework to support your child with the building blocks to be a successful learner.
In Primary and Secondary School, My Education uses the Australian Curriculum General Capabilities to assist your child to develop the skills, knowledge, behaviours and dispositions to assist them to be successful into the future.
In Senior Secondary, Years 11 and 12 students critically question and create their own meanings about the world of work through their participation in Personal Pathway Planning (a required element of the TCE) and by enrolling in courses such as Work Readiness.
My Education Online (ME Online)
A key part of My Education 7–12 is an online tool, ME Online. This tool will connect your child to resources, materials and data that will assist them in developing a life and career plan.
ME Online contains careers information including workforce data, tertiary pathways and occupation related information. Your child will be able to identify and save favourite occupations of interest to them by using the online tool.
The support of My Education by parents and carers is critical for your child’s success.
A Kindergarten to Year 6 online tool is being developed.
WHERE DOES IT START?
- My Education is part of your child’s learning program .
HOW DOES IT WORK?
All students will be exploring four key inquiry questions:
- Who am I?
- What are my opportunities?
- Who do I want to become?
- What is my plan for achieving my goals?
FOR YOU AS A PARENT/CARER
You are the most important influence on your child’s career decisions.
- As parents and carers your support of this program is really important.
- We encourage you to be involved and engaged in My Education along with your child. It will be a key part of their education, helping guide them towards a successful future.
- Talk to your child’s teacher or principal about what resources and tools are available to support your child with decisions about study, work or a career.
- Connect your child to the people doing the kind of work they may be interested in.
- Support and encourage the aspirations of your child.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Research shows that children who are actively engaged in shaping their own life and career have:
- Improved relationships
- Higher aspirations
- An increase in confidence and self esteem
- Healthier lifestyle habits
- A more positive outlook on life.
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
- Talk to your child’s teacher or principal.
- Visit the My Education website.
- For information about receiving a Year 10 Transition Statement and the ongoing requirements to participate in education and training, see the fact sheet Year 10 Transition Statements in all Tasmanian Schools.
Download the Print version of the brochure (PDF, 667 KB)