OUTSIDE SCHOOL HOURS CARE IN TASMANIAN GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS
Did you know?
Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) services are an important part of the lives of many school aged children and their families.
OSHC services may provide before school care, after school care and/or programs during the school holidays. Hours and days of operation will differ at individual services.
OSHC services usually operate on school premises, or nearby, by education and care professionals.
They have collaborative partnerships with the school community and are assessed for quality and monitored by the Department of Education.
Where to start
- Talk to your child’s education and care service, teacher or principal to find out if OSHC is offered at the school or close by.
- Alternatively, search the MyChild website http://ifp.mychild.gov.au/ChildCareService/Search.aspx to find an OSHC service near you.
- You may wish to talk to educators at a number of OSHC services to determine which one would best fit your family’s requirements.
Benefits for your child
OSHC programs provide:
- time to relax, play and have fun
- a place to develop friendships and learn how to relate to others
- opportunities to try new things, visit new places and learn new life skills
- a range of different activities that your child can choose from
- somewhere that your child is valued and accepted just as they are.
Benefits for you
OSHC programs provide:
- a safe place for your child
- opportunities to discuss your child’s needs with educators
- a program that supports your child’s learning and development
- a partnership approach with you, focusing on your child’s health, confidence and wellbeing
- access to Child Care Benefit to assist with fees, if you are eligible.
OSHC at your child’s school
- OSHC services are operated by education and care professionals who are employed by approved providers.
- Services are approved to operate by the Education and Care Unit of the Department of Education. They are assessed for quality and monitored under legislation.
- Many OSHC services have strong links with their local school communities and other support agencies.
- OSHC services and schools together provide a flexible approach that supports the education and care of children and the needs of families.
Where can I get more information?
More information on OSHC can be found by accessing the following websites:
- Education and Care website
- MyChild website: http://ifp.mychild.gov.au/ChildCareService/Search.aspx
Download the Print version of brochure (PDF, 410KB)