READY TO START SCHOOL CHECKLIST IN TASMANIAN GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS
The Department of Education wants all children and their families to have the best possible start to the school year. There are things that you can do to make sure your child is as prepared as possible for their first day of school.
- Attend school orientation and Launching into Learning programs.
- Ensure your child’s immunisations are up to date.
- Have your child’s hearing and eyesight checked.
- If your child has an allergy, medical condition, takes medication or has any additional support needs, inform the school as early as possible and make an appointment to see the principal.
- Think about how your child will be getting to school.
- Practise walking or travelling to school.
- Organise out of school hours care, if required.
Some things you might need to buy
- School uniform (summer, winter, sports, usually available for purchase at the school).
- Hat (usually part of school uniform).
- School shoes, socks and running shoes (try velcro straps if your child can’t tie laces).
- Lunch box (have your child choose one they can open).
- Water bottle.
- Paint shirt/smock (an old t-shirt will do).
- Library bag.
Over the holidays
- Check in to see how your child is feeling about their first day of school and acknowledge their feelings.
- Visit the school playground.
- Write your child’s name on everything.
- Make sure you have the school’s phone number.
- If you have a son, make sure he knows how to use a urinal.
The night before
- Together with your child, get everything ready for the next day.
- Make your child’s recess and lunch and pop it in the fridge.
- Help your child pack their school bag.
- Pack a spare set of clothes in a plastic bag in case of accidents.
The first day
- Be confident with your child about the first day.
- Let your child dress themselves as much as possible.
- Tie back or plait long hair.
- Apply sunscreen and include a hat.
- Take photos!
- Allow extra time to support your child in settling into the classroom.
- Talk with your child and child’s teacher about picking them up at the end of the day.
- Pick up your child on time.
Download the Print version of brochure (PDF, 440KB)