Temporary Resident Program

Temporary Resident ProgramIf you are moving to Tasmania to study or work on a temporary resident visa, your children (referred to as dependants) are very welcome to study with us. The Temporary Resident Program (TRP) helps a significant number of students on temporary visas enrol into our Tasmanian Government Schools.

The Visas at a Glance document provides a comprehensive list of visa subclasses with the most commonly seen subclasses appearing on the front page. This document lists permanent and temporary visas and whether or not tuition fees and school levies are to be paid.

Parents granted a visa to stay and work or study in Australia can use this list to identify if their child (referred to as a dependant) MUST receive an Authority to Enrol (AtE) letter before enrolling in a Tasmanian Government School. Government Education and Training International (GETI) issues the AtE on behalf of the Department of Education.

For more information about this program please go to the Government Education and Training International Tasmania (GETI) website or email temporaryresident@geti.tas.gov.au.

How do I enrol my child?

You need an Authority to Enrol, so please contact Government Education and Training International (GETI) on 6165 5727 (internationally +61 3 6165 5727) or email temporaryresident@geti.tas.gov.au for help.

What is an Authority to Enrol?

In order for TRP students to enrol, a parent MUST:


  • The school must see your Authority to Enrol letter before your child can be enrolled and
  • School levies are generated by, and paid direct to, the school.

When can I enrol my child?

The Temporary Resident Program (TRP) enrols school-aged children at any time during the year. Our school year consists of four terms (refer to term dates) and caters for the following year groups:

  • Primary school – Kindergarten to Year 6
  • Secondary (High) school – Years 7-10
  • Senior Secondary (College) – Years 11-12
  • The compulsory school starting age in Tasmania is five years on or by 1 January.

Dependants of temporary residents MUST hold a valid visa and meet the general conditions of enrolment before enrolling in a Tasmanian Government School.

Where can I enrol my child?

Temporary resident students can enrol at their local school in their ‘home area’ – the school nearest to their new Tasmanian home. Please refer to intake areas for Tasmanian schools.

Which visa types attract a tuition fee?

Some parents of TRP students under 18 years of age are exempt from paying dependant tuition fees. Please refer to the Visas at a Glance document for more details.

How much does schooling cost?

Most TRP students are required to pay tuition fees to attend a Tasmanian Government School.

For current tuition fee information please select Temporary Resident (Dependant) Program on the Government Schools page on the GETI website.

School levies

School levies are not the same as tuition fees. Some TRP students are required to pay a tuition fee while all TRP students are to pay school levies. School levies are approximately AUD $300 – $750 per year and are charged by the school directly. For further information please refer to fees and levies.

Note: Children temporarily living in Tasmania on a visitor visa may study up to 12 weeks, but must enrol as an International Full Fee-Paying Students (FFPS).

Will my child receive English language support?

All TRP students will receive English language support if they are assessed as requiring assistance. A needs assessment will be conducted by the English as an Additional Language (EAL) Service. A Learning Plan will then be developed for the student and updated as required by the school.  For further information please refer to the English as an Additional Language Support web page or contact eal.service@education.tas.gov.au.

What if I need an interpreter?

Schools are able to access interpreters through the EAL Service (6165 5487) or eal.service@education.tas.gov.au.
Schools can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) or visit their website for more details. Costs will apply.