Student Accommodation

Accommodation for Students

Accommodation is available in Burnie, Alanvale, Newstead, Claremont, Clarence, Rosny, New Town and Mount Nelson.


Student residences in Burnie offer supervised student accommodation and full board, on campus. The residence is unit-style accommodation with students sharing a living area, kitchenette and bathroom facilities. For further information, please contact the residence management on (03) 6433 4852 .


Student residences at Alanvale in Launceston provide self-contained motel style units. The Alanvale residences are available for both short and long term. For further information, contact Alanvale on (03) 6777 2687.


Accommodation facilities for 50 students are available on the Newstead College site.  Accommodation consists of three, four and five-bedroom apartments. Students are responsible for their own cooking. . For further information please call (03) 6332 3232, or visit the Newstead Residence website.

Claremont College

Claremont College students have access to unit accommodation. First preference is given to students that live at least 90 minutes away from Claremont College and fulfill Centrelink eligibility for either Youth Allowance or the Assistance for Isolated Children Allowance. The accommodation is managed through Housing Connect. Call: 1800 265 669.


Student residences at Clarence in Hobart provide self-contained motel style units. The Clarence residences are available both for short or long term.  For further information contact Clarence on (03) 6165 6591.


A limited number of independent units located 10 minutes from Rosny College are available to full time students enrolled at the campus, who have an independent income. These are administered by Colony 47’s Direct Tenancy Program, who give the students support to live independently. For more information please contact the Direct Tenancy Program on 1800 265 669.

New Town

Springvale Hostel in Midwood Street, New Town, provides hostel-style, single room, full board accommodation to students aged from 16 to 19 years old on either a five or seven-day basis.  For further information please contact the Manager on (03) 6228 1282, email or visit the Springvale Student Residence website.

Mount Nelson

A limited number of independent units located close to the Hobart College at Mt Nelson are also available to full time students enrolled at the campus, who have an independent income. These are administered by Colony 47’s Direct Tenancy Program, who give the students support to live independently. For more information please contact the Direct Tenancy Program on 1800 265 669.

Financial Support

Financial support that is available for students and parents includes.

Student Accommodation Allowance (SAA)

The Student Accommodation Allowance provides financial assistance to students in years 11 and 12 who must live away from their usual Tasmanian home in order to attend a registered government or non-government school. The allowance is limited to a maximum of two years, unless special circumstances exist, but is not means tested. The allowance is $1472 for students who study for the full year. For more information please call 1800 827 055.

Student Accommodation Allowance 2022 application form

Living Away From Home Allowance

If you are a secondary school student who needs to live away from home to study, you may be eligible for a higher rate of Youth Allowance if it takes more than 90 minutes by public transport from your parents’ home to your place of study, or your parents’ home is in an isolated area (at least 56km away from an appropriate government school, or is isolated due to impassable roads for 20 school days a year). For more information visit the Department of Human Services website.

Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC)

The Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme can help eligible parents and carers of school-aged students who cannot go to an appropriate state school due to living in an isolated area. Payments are usually paid to the parent or carer, who can then choose to have the payments paid directly to the school or place of accommodation. For more information visit the Department of Human Services website.

Southern Tasmania:

Options available to students and their families in southern Tasmania for both 5 and 7 night accommodation options during the school term. Information provided by Colony 47.

Duty of Care


The Department of Education (the Department) has a non-delegable duty of care for all students who attend government schools.  This duty extends to cover all students at schools and colleges who are accommodated in hostels around the State.  This responsibility extends to periods outside the normal school hours.

In considering Duty of Care, reference should also be made to the Department’s Duty of Care for Students on Departmental Educational Sites Procedure. Duty of care is a common law concept that refers to the duty imposed by law to take care to minimise the risk of harm to another. In the school/college context, the Department has a duty to take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions which could expose students to a reasonably foreseeable risk of injury, including matters that impact on the emotional and physical well-being of students. Examples of risks may include bullying, harassment, cyber bullying, cultural insensitivities, physical or sexual abuse.


The Department is implementing the recent Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Historical Sexual Abuse recommendations that deal with making Institutions child safe.   There are 10 standards and they can be found on the Royal Commission website.

As part of our changes the Department is implementing a system of “Contact Officers” for all hostel students.

This means that all students, parents and carers will be provided with the name of their Contact Officer and their contact details as part of their normal hostel enrolment process.

The Contact Officers will be senior people within the Department and are linked to the individual student’s school or college that they will be attending.  Hostel Supervisors will also have the contact officer details which they can provide to a student if they have misplaced them.  The Hostel Supervisors will also report to the contact officer any duty of care issue that a student raises with them directly.

The Contact Officer will have access to the full range of services within the school, college and the Department for resolving duty of care issues and they will work with the affected students on an agreed plan to resolve all the issues.

It is important to note that the Contact Officers will not be dealing with any maintenance, infrastructure, food issues or permission to leave the hostel out of hours.  All these matters will be dealt with, as is currently the case, by the hostel supervisor through the normal processes.

The Department and the hostels are committed to provide all students in hostels a safe, supportive and nurturing environment which contributes to the achievement of a scholastic outcome that will enable all students to achieve their ultimate goals.