The Department of Education is committed to ensuring all students can access, participate and engage in education on the same basis as other students.
We provide quality education based on the principles of equity and inclusion, and support the rights of people with disability.
The Department of Education operates within a context of a wide range of legal and policy obligations and these inform the Tasmanian Government’s provision of education for all learners.
The obligations include:
- Education Act 2016
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA)
- Disability Standards for Education 2005 (DSE)
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Act 2013
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities 2008 (UNCRPD)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)
Key policy areas include:
- National Disability Strategy 2010-2020
- Accessible Island: Disability Framework for Action 2018-2021 – Tasmania
- Disability Action Plan 2018-2021 – Department of Education
Further information about the Department’s policies, procedures and guidelines is available at Policy Library.
Information in relation to diversity and inclusion can be found under Access and Equity within the Policy Library.
For all other documents, refer to the Document Centre on the DoE website.