In 2021, the Inclusion Advisory Committee (IAC) was appointed by the Minister for Education and Training.
The Committee will operate as an independent committee for a term of three years, from 2021 until 2023.
Role of the IAC
The role of the Committee is to provide practical advice to the Minister for Education and Training, in relation to the education of students with disability in Tasmania.
The Committee will provide advice on improved supports for students with disability across the following key areas:
- Work with schools to become increasingly disability ready and responsive
- Continuously improve teaching and learning through inclusive education
- Work with communities in partnership
- Align resources to inclusive education practice.
This work is aligned to the ongoing implementation of the Ministerial Taskforce Report 2015 recommendations.
The Committee will also support Tasmanian education sectors’ participation in the National Agenda Reform areas including, but not limited to:
- Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability
- 2020 Review of the Disability Standards for Education (2005)
- Nationally Consistent Collection of Data (NCCD) Quality Assurance
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) – Intersection with Education
- Other reforms related to inclusive education practice and supporting students with disability.
Refer to the Committee’s Terms of Reference (PDF, 76KB) for further detail.
- Catholic Education Tasmania
- Independent Schools Tasmania
- Department of Education Secretary/Delegate
- Department of Education Inclusion and Diversity
- Southern Support School
- Tasmanian Principals Association
- Tasmanian Association of State Schools Organisations
- Australian Association of Special Education Tasmanian Chapter.
- Inclusion Advisory Committee – Meeting 1 Communiqué – 25 March 2021 (PDF, 390KB)
- Inclusion Advisory Committee – Meeting 2 Communiqué – 10 June 2021 (PDF, 454KB)
- Inclusion Advisory Committee – Meeting 3 – Communiqué – 2 September 2021 (PDF, 406KB)
- Inclusion Advisory Committee – Meeting 4 – Communiqué – 18 November 2021 (PDF, 438KB)
Former Inclusion Advisory Panel
From 2016 to 2020, the Inclusion Advisory Panel operated as an independent Panel established by the Minister for Education and Training.
The Advisory Panel provided practical advice to the Minister over many years on the opportunities and barriers to implementing the recommendations made by the Ministerial Taskforce for the Education of Students with Disability.
Since 2016, significant progress has been made across the three education sectors in Tasmania to improve supports for students with disability.